Can we first of all say a massive thanks for all of the positive comments that have been shared with the firm and the team regarding the support we have provided so far and the support we have discussed that is still to come. We will continue to work effortlessly to support you in these troubled times.
Two things first which we are commonly being asked and for which we can just give up an update (kind of):
- We are still awaiting further guidance regarding the 80% funding towards furloughed staff and are hoping we get this imminently and as soon as we do we will share this rather than just share the various interpretations that are currently circulating over the internet.
- There is expected to be a big announcement today for which we will share tomorrow once we have interpreted this with regards to the self employed but we know no more than you do at the current time.
Now what we can update you on today is the banks apparent stance when it comes to the Government-backed lending and that is what we wanted to share.
The key messages are:
- Certain backs will force you to first apply for normal commercial funding and only if this is unsuccessful will they signpost you down the Government-backed route.
- We do know of at least one bank; which is Barclays, who as of yesterday were first sending people down the Government-backed route.
- From having spoken with a number of senior guys within the banks; we’re told banks are currently being allowed to decide their own approach with regards to the approach they take.
- If you are going to try and suddenly jump ship in terms of banks to try and increase your chances of accessing the Government-backed loans then good luck as this transition process appears to be more lengthy than ever and in the meantime banks will naturally and understandably prioritise their own customers ahead of others.
- Following the global issues that COVID-19 it is causing the banks;who are already massively under-resourced as we would expect, to be even more stretched, and the fact that call centres in India have been closed down due to the service not being deemed ‘essential’ across there will only slow down the application process further.
Our recommendation to clients is contact your bank the best you can and try to establish what information is needed. Also, try to understand which approach they will be adopting. Then fill in this short questionnaire that can be found here and liaise with us so that we can best support you should your first option not come through.
Alongside the rush to get this Government-backed funding from the banks and the soon to be announced measures to support the self-employed, we are soon expecting a deluge of requests for information from clients.
As mentioned above, and ask acknowledged by clients already, we face the same battles as a lot of clients and continue to go over and beyond existing letters of engagement for no additional charge.
However, can we kindly ask that if you are being asked for information that you already have/have had access to can you please ensure that you have this ready rather than ask us to supply this again.
We haven’t yet; but if we are regularly asked for information already supplied and repeating work, then this will only stretch us further and side tracks our efforts where they would be better spent that could subsequently be to the detriment of the long-term future of other clients including yourself.
If this is ever the case we would have to consider revisiting how we are supporting clients including potentially charging for work that we repeating as we will not stand by and allow this to happen.
Let’s continue to work together in the best interests of one another.
We thank you for you your patience, support and kind words to date and we look forward to this time passing.
Stay safe and stay healthy!